Current Projects

Huntsville-Madison County’s historic resources range from humble log cabins from the early days of Alabama settlement to antebellum homes designed by George Steele in the Twickenham Historic District; from textile mills and worker houses in historic mill villages to midcentury neighborhoods settled by space-age work force.

HHF proudly led efforts to preserve these homes, buildings and neighborhoods, and we are not slowing down.

Harrison Brothers Hardware Building Community

The second floor of the Harrison Brothers Hardware building provides a meeting place for non-profit and community groups, a multifunctional work space for entrepreneurs and small businesses, and a permanent home to the Historic Huntsville Foundation. We continue our renovations to the three-story building, to make this space available to individuals, organizations and entrepreneurial businesses whose activities contribute to the vitality of downtown Huntsville.

Current Projects

McThornmor Acres National Register Listing

Working with the City of Huntsville, the Alabama Historical Commission and residents of McThornmor Acres, the Historic Huntsville Foundation initiated the listing of McThornmor Acres to the National Register of Historic Places. We anticipate McThornmor Acres will be Alabama’s first Space Age Historic District.

 

Current Projects

Historic Document Archives

Partners with the University of Alabama-Huntsville Library to acquire historic documents, and papers for the UAH Special Collections and Archives

The documents, drawings and maps that illustrate the evolution of Huntsville’s built environment over time are valuable research materials for historians and historic preservationists. HHF is actively engaged to identify these resources and facilitate their transfer to UAH Special Collections and Archives.

Recently HHF acquired and transferred the Heinz Hilten Collection to UAH. Read more. 

HHF donated the business records of Harrison Brothers Hardware to the UAH Library-Special Collections. These records span the full operation of the store from 1897 to 1983.

Current Projects